Friday, September 16, 2011

Buttermilk Cinnamon Swirl Bread

This has been a family favorite of ours for years. Typically I make this bread in a loaf pan. Wrapped up beautifully, this bread makes the perfect gift- whether it be for a teacher, friend, housewarming or hostess gift- you really can't go wrong.

The other day I thought I'd try making this in my 10- inch cast iron skillet and it turned out wonderful. 

I'll give you the directions for making it either way, below.


Buttermilk Cinnamon Swirl Bread
((Printable Recipe))

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If you are using a cast iron skillet, place a 10-inch one in the oven to preheat.  If you are using a loaf pan, grease it well and set it aside.

Mix the oil, 3/4 cup sugar, buttermilk and egg together.  Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.

In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and walnuts together.

If you are using the cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl it around.

Pour half the batter into either the cast iron skillet or the loaf pan.  Pour half the cinnamon sugar mixture on top.  Pour on the remaining batter and remaining cinnamon sugar. Drag a knife back and forth to swirl.

Bake for 45-55 minutes if using the loaf pan.
Bake for 20-35 minutes if using the cast iron skillet.



Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.


*This recipe can easily be doubled.

Linked to: Recipe Lion, Sweet as Sugar Cookies, Crazy for Crust, Amee's Savory Dish, Weekend Potluck


16 comments:

  1. If nothing else, this picture looks unbelievably good! I shouldn't be this hungry for cake at 8:30 in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But this has cinnamon in it, there by making it a breakfast cake- so you are totally safe. I won't tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever mix up your own " buttermilk" if you don't have any. If so, how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question Gena! I have never bought buttermilk, I have always made my own. I know some people love the powdered stuff I haven't tried that. I usually always have lemon juice on hand, but vinegar works just as well. I use 1 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar and add enough milk to it to make 1 cup. Then I let it sit there for a minute or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, stunning images!! I wish I had a slice right now1

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really so good. I love anything cinnamon! I just found your blog through a blog hop, I love it. If you're interested please take a look at my blog at www.romanianprincess.com and if you like it PLEASE be a follower!

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mama J for sharing this recipe last week for our latest blog hop.

    This recipe really does look super tempting. Thanks again!

    Sarah @ RecipeLion

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Overtooms have officially tried this recipe and give it six thumbs up. I forgot to swirl the knife, so it had more of a coffeecake presentation. You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tandemingtroll- Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad your family liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks and sounds wonderful! And cast iron is just The Best, isn't it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE cast iron! (And it is nice to meet another Jenni with an "i". :)

      Delete
  11. Yum again - another great recipe to try and now I have something nice to take around to the neighbors this Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this for work 2 years ago and it was such a big hit! Thinking of recreating it while I'm in Korea! Great/easy recipe that's fantastically delicious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made this. It's really, really good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete