Monday, July 11, 2011

Arugula Pesto with Almonds

I love lettuce. I would take a good, dark, peppery, spicy, bitter lettuce over Iceberg any day.

Now this pesto will be done before your water even boils.  Talk about fast food!


Arugula Pesto with Almonds
((Printable Version))

Ingredients:
2 cups packed arugula leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
fresh cracked pepper
a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:
1. Place garlic and almonds in the food processor.  Cover your ears and give it a whirl until the almonds are coarsely chopped.  Add the parmesan and arugula.  Turn on the processor and pour the oil in a steady stream.  Add the seasoning and give another pulse.

2. Boil some whole grain pasta. Drain the pasta and reserve about 1 cup of pasta water. Drizzle with the pasta with oil, add some pesto and thin with a little pasta water.


Fresh.  Easy.  Delicious.  Fast.  But more importantly.... Homemade.

Linked to: Midnight Maniac, Delightfully Dowling, This Chick Cooks, Frugally Sustainable

13 comments:

  1. YUM. I have been meaning to make an arugula pesto, and I love homemade sauces like this on pasta. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dish! I wanted to invite your over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. A great picture too! This recipe would be perfect for my Cast Party Wednesday Link Party. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks yummy....
    The pics are so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great way to use up extra arugula that might come in a CSA share. I usually make up big batches of pesto and freeze them in ice cube trays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to try this pesto. I like Lori's idea to freeze the pesto in ice cube trays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Wednesday Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The arugula in my garden is doing well. I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to try this pesto. I like Lori's idea to freeze the pesto in ice cube trays.

    ReplyDelete