Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tabbouleh

Tabbouleh is a labor of love, I'm not going to lie to you.  But if you don't mind chopping a few tomatoes and mincing a boat load of parsley, it is so worth the effort.

The first time I had tabbouleh was when an Armenian friend of mine brought my friends and I some from her husband's restaurant.  I had never had anything like it before. She tells me that good tabbouleh should leave parsley in your teeth.  I hope my tabbouleh does her proud.

Now tabbouleh is made with a lot of parsley and chopped mint.  I really don't care for the mint and my friend who serves it in her restaurant does not put mint in hers either.  So, I think I'm safe.  But I will add the mint in the list of ingredients.  If you love it, add it.


Tabbouleh
((Printable Version))

1/2 cup bulgur wheat (such as Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups minced flat leaf parsley
1 cup mint (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions (whites and greens)
4 medium tomatoes, diced
salt and cracked pepper to taste


Soak the bulgur wheat in hot water to cover.  Soak for 15-30 minutes.  Drain and squeeze out the water.  Place the squeezed bulgur wheat in a bowl and add the oil, lemon juice and pepper.  Add in the tomatoes, scallions and parsley.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.




5 comments:

  1. I never mind chopping. In fact, it makes me happy. Especially when I'm chopping wonderfully fragrant ingredients like these. Tabbouleh is a favorite treat of mine and a great summer dish. It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be adding the mint... and I agree with Lin Ann - chopping is a rather therapeutic exercise for me - when else can you bash the crap outta things without suffering repercussions?

    This looks great! Perfect for Summer evening suppers! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with both of you. I love chopping. In an age of dollar menus and convenient food I think too many people are finding chopping "inconvenient"- which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such nice colorful salads you have got..
    But I don't think my husband would agree to have such things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love tabboleh! I've never made it myself, but I order it whenever I can! I'd love to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete