Friday, April 8, 2011

Crispy Oven Fries

There are oven fries, and then there are crisp oven fries.  These fries were easy to prepare and required no deep fryer.  Perfect with burgers on the grill.


Crispy Oven Fries
(from Cook's Country)
((Printable Version))

Ingredients:
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick fries (I left the skins on)
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 450F and adjust the oven rack so that it is at its lowest position.  Place the potatoes in a large glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.  Microwave for 3-5 minutes or until they begin to turn translucent on the edges.  Shake the potatoes halfway through cooking.

2. Remove the potatoes, and place them on a cooling rack.  Dry them on all sides with some paper towels.

3. Coat a large rimmed cookie sheet pan with 5 tablespoons of oil.  Place this pan in the hot oven for about 5 to 7 minutes.  Whisk the remaining oil, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl and toss the potatoes to coat.

4. Arrange in a single layer on the hot sheet pan and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes or until the are crisp and brown.  Flip the potatoes half way through cooking.

5. Sprinkle with additional coarse sea salt.





Linked to: Mangia Mondays, Made it on Monday, Recipe Lion

19 comments:

  1. Yum! Those look great. I love it when you can get crunchy fries without actually frying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really interesting way to prepare baked potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see an oven fry recipe where the fries turn out crisp and not like limp noodles. We love fresh fries but we don't always want to break out a deep fryer. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these fries sound pretty much amazing! i love that they're crispy & baked instead of fried... a healthier option with your burger!

    thanks so much for linking up to mangia mondays!

    -kristin

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I can make my own fries..thanks for sharing.I am your newest follower. -Marelie www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE CARBS! And these look dang good!

    I would like for you to come join in on "Made it on Monday"...a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog:

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    *you can link up every WED.-SAT.*

    Hope you will join in on the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do look delicious! I've never heard of m/w'ing them first....great thought. So glad you shared! I found you at Lark's Made it on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how crispy fries can get even in the oven ... i make some wedges with a touch of garlic... its really tasty ... you can check it out here http://myhobbielobbie.blogspot.com/2010/09/garlicky-baked-potato-wedges.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you joined us at "Made it on Monday" :)

    I WILL be making these for sure!

    Hope you find something you like as well, and will come back often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm making these tonight! And I'm going to search your blog for a dessert.
    --Gena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mama J! These fries look amazing. I love home baked fries! I think that some people don't understand how easy it really is to make. Awesome. I'd love it if you shared this on our budget-friendly blog hop today, it would be perfect.

    See you there! http://www.recipelionblog.com/fabulous-food-friday-august-blog-hop/

    Sarah @ RecipeLion

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and am in LOVE with all of it! I would love to skip the microwave part of these fries - but is that what makes them crispy in the end? Any ideas on what to do if I skip the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karly- It's funny you ask that. We have been microwave free now for about 9 months and I have not made this recipe in that time. When we decided to go microwave free, I was thinking that this might be the one recipe I'd want it back for. When I try this recipe again, I am going to try parboiling them for a few minutes and then dry them really well with a towel and follow the directions as called for after that. If you end up getting a chance to try them that way, please drop me another comment to let me know how it worked for you. After I get a chance to do it, I will update the blog post with a non-microwave version. :)

      Delete
  13. I believe this is actually the most useful blog I've been through this entire day.is bubblegum casting legitimate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've question to ask, is that necessary to add vegetable oil? Because I want to add cooking oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to try olive oil or coconut oil. I'm sure any cooking oil you'd like to use will help crisp them up.

      Delete
  15. Just wondering if the cornstarch is necessary? I'm not a big fan of using that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just followed the recipe as I saw it on Cook's Country. I have not tried them without the cornstarch. It probably just helps with making them crisp and can be left out.

      Delete