Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Waffles

How does apples and cinnamon baked right into the waffles sound to you?

Yup, that's what I thought.


Here is my basic waffle batter.  I'll tell you how to jazz it up below.

Waffle Batter:
((Printable Version))
(this feeds my family of 5, you can easily halve the recipe)

2 c. flour
2 tablespoons corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted, cooled butter or oil

Now to make them "Apple Cinnamon Waffles" you'll need:
1 large peeled, grated granny smith apple
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon brown sugar (substitute out one of the tablespoons of sugar from the original recipe)

Mix the flour (I used a blend of white, wholewheat, and flax), cornmeal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together with a whisk.  Set aside.

Grate the apple and squeeze some of the liquid out.

Mix the buttermilk, cooled butter, sugars, and egg yolks together with a whisk.  Set aside.

In a very clean mixing bowl with clean beaters, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Set aside.


Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.  Stir in the grated apple.  Add a spoonful of egg whites and stir.  Now GENTLY fold in the remaining egg whites.

Pour into a preheated waffle iron.  The batter is thick so spread it out gently to the corners.  Cook about 3-4 minutes, or until done.

I like to keep my waffles in a 250 degree fahrenheit oven to crisp up and stay warm while I'm making the other waffles.


Freeze or refrigerate any leftover waffles and pop right in the toaster when you're ready to use.


Serve with butter and pancake syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a waffle maker to make these little gems!! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete