Thursday, December 30, 2010

Gorditas: A new twist to 'taco night'.

These were so good.

Let me say it again, these were SO GOOD!

In my family we judge the recipes I make by saying "keeper" of "tosser".

One bite of these and everyone was saying, "KEEPER!"

For taco night I usually make my hand pressed corn tortillas, but tonight I thought I'd try something a little different.....

Gorditas.


Gorditas:
((Printable Version))

1 (14.5 oz) can creamed corn
1 tsp. salt
1 c. water
1 c. plus 2/3 c. corn meal
2 T. butter
1 c. shredded cheddar or jack cheese (I used a combo)

Optional Toppings:
black beans with onions and cumin, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, lime wedges, homemade salsa, or anything else you like to put on tacos.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a medium sized sauce pan, add creamed corn, water, and salt.  Heat, stir and add cornmeal.  Cook until thick.  Add butter and cheese.

(little J demonstrating) 


Drop by heaping tablespoons into WELL GREASED muffin cups.  Smear with the back of a spoon up the sides or with wet fingers.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Let everyone fill with their own toppings.  (I got about 15 gorditas made with this batch.)


Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Questions?
    Do you use NON-GMO corn meal and creamed corn?
    IF you do, what brand did you buy and where did you buy it?

    Looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambar, I was all on the non-gmo bandwagon for awhile. I would still love to be, but when I read about how wide spread gmo really is. I felt completely defeated and overwhelmed. It is everywhere and in a good majority of everything we eat. I could get bent out of shape over gmo corn but I would not be able to stop there if my heart were really in it.

    Take for example an 'organic' seedless watermelon. That makes no sense to me. Obviously genetic modification had to happen for this fruit to exist. This same could be said for a lot of fruits and vegetables.

    I applaud anyone who is able to keep up with a non-gmo diet. I do believe gmos have completely wreaked havoc on our land and soil- and who knows what to our bodies as well.

    But, to answer your question, (you probably thought I never would) ;).... no, I do not buy non-gmo corn meal and creamed corn. About the only thing corn related that I try to avoid at all costs is HFCS.

    ReplyDelete