Wednesday, November 24, 2010

German Puff Pancake

I can't sleep in.... I've tried.  I think once on a visit home from college for the weekend I slept in until 10:30AM.  (Crazy, I know....  I'm such a rebel.)

Vacation day, weekend, it doesn't matter.  I'm up before the rooster crows.  (Yes, our neighbors have roosters.)

When it is a vacation day or weekend I'm usually up baking.  My husband knows how good he's got it.  The kids.... well.....  hopefully someday they will.

This morning I made a thing of beauty.


The German Puff Pancake aka The Dutch Baby

Here's the recipe:
3 eggs
1/2 c. flour*
1/2 c. milk
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 T. unsalted butter (for the pan)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, along with a cast iron skillet (or other oven proof pan).
Meanwhile, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.


When oven is preheated, carefully remove the hot pan.
Add 2T. butter and return to the oven until melted.  (Be careful it doesn't burn- use clarified butter if you're concerned about this.)
When melted, quickly pour in the batter and return to the oven for 15 minutes.

Serve with homemade pancake syrup or lemons and powdered sugar.


(Personally, I think it tastes best sprinkled with powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon.)



*I used a blend of flax seed and whole wheat flour instead of white flour.

I'd say this would serve 2-3 people.  I double the recipe for my family of 5.

1 comment:

  1. yummy yummy yummy

    I like Your Recipe its good all

    keep it like that

    ReplyDelete